Sunday, March 4, 2012

Joy

Joy: a shout, a proclamation that can manifest itself in singing.  A triumph, cheerful and calm delight ~American Dictionary of the English Language

I haven't blogged in a few days.  There has been a whirlwind of activity in the house.  Though I am sitting still, life has picked up the pace in my living room.

This morning, I woke up before my little one and made my way to the living room, anxious to write thoughts in my blog.  As I opened the blog, I heard a quiet voice within telling me to open the Word first.  I shot up a quick prayer telling God that I only had a small window of opportunity to write before the rest of the house got up.  Still, something inside caused me to question - which is more important - writing for writing's sake, or focusing on the Lord and letting him speak to me?  Having decided a long time ago that I don't want to write this blog for any reason but for HIS glory, I could not begin without spending time with Him. I ran through my devotions on Faithfulness and Joy and fired up the computer.  Again, I knew I had not said a word to Him all morning, and had not let Him speak to me, either.  I said, 'Lord, I'll pray, but I need to tell You that the kids will all be up soon, and my window of opportunity will pass for writing.'  I'm sure He already knew that.  Sure enough, as I was in prayer, I heard a bedroom door open down the hall and my youngest emerged with her purple-ice-cream-cone-and-cupcake nightgown on, all smiles. I came to the conclusion, not on my own I'm sure, that had I written this post in a rush without taking time for the Lord, it would have been much worse than being interrupted by a cute little brown-eyed smiling face blinking the sleepies out.  This post may take all day with life's interruptions, but I would rather not write at all than forge ahead in my own strength.

As predicted, I was not able to finish this blog yesterday, and I'm thankful for that.  "...In His favour is life; weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning" Psalm 30:5  Today was a day of joy.  I was able to not only go to Sunday School to 'bond' with a group of women in my church, but I also stayed for church (mostly because I didn't have a ride home after Sunday School!!).

My Pastor preached from Mark 6:45 - 52.  Jesus has just miraculously fed the 5000 and told his disciples to get in a ship and go to the other side, and he went to a mountain to pray.  The disciples were having trouble rowing because the wind was 'contrary'.  Jesus walked on the water and when he got in the ship, the wind stopped.  The disciples were amazed.  That's the short version.

How does that apply to my situation?  Pastor Miller asked if anyone has ever felt overwhelmed.  Check.  He said many people try to handle everything on their own. Check. Some people forget the miracles that have already happened in their lives. Check.  Jesus told the disciples to get in the boat, knowing that the storm would arise.  Nothing surprises God, and He allows storms to come up in His children ' lives. BUT, He is with us IN the boat. Check!

How does that all tie in with joy?  I'll say it one more time - Jesus is WITH me in the boat!  That's the real definition and source of all joy - joy unspeakable and full of glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment