Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Please take a moment you won't regret. Sandi Patty, Ronald Reagan, Peter Jennings, America!!!

Two months, ago, I saw this video of the Star Spangled Banner at a WCTU meeting.  My eyes misted over for the joy, hope and patriotism of the 1986 Liberty Weekend Celebration in New York, so beautifully filmed and portrayed by ABC news.  In it, you will see Peter Jennings, the Twin Towers, Ronald and Nancy Reagan, fireworks and the unstoppable American spirit, evident on each face throughout.  The pride of our nation shown as a backdrop of this video found me on my feet, with my hand over my heart that night with "The Ladies".

Today, 24 hours after the attacks in Boston, I know there are many newer renditions of The Star Spangled Banner that have been passionately sung and shared, and they are amazing.  I ask that you watch this rendition, created in 1986, before 911, before mass shootings of innocent children, before bombs terrorized Boston and before our country was united because of the fear that crept into our lives and our hearts.

As Peter Jennings states at the end of the song, "The key is... to remember."  We need to not only remember  the tragedies and honor the many victims, we should also remember the years before the evil, and  continue to have pride and hope for our great country.

You may be tempted to stop the video when the credits begin to roll, but if you watch through to the end, you will hear someone singing "Let there be peace on earth,and let it begin with me.  Let there be peace on earth, the peace that was meant to be.  With God as our Father, brothers all are we - let me walk with my brother, in perfect harmony..."

If I write any more, it will only detract from the power of this video.  See if you, too, are brought to your feet with love for this country, as I was!  God Bless America!


2 comments:

  1. I am not sure if my other comment was posted . However here I go again As a Canadian I cannot imagine the pain to see your country have these terrible tragedies happen . As a police officer I do feel the pain and heartache for my fellow family of officers and EMS and fire worker . May God Bless America and all Americans Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shannon. I'm happy to see you are still checking in from time to time :) Thank you, also, for your comments about America. We love Canada, too!!!

    ReplyDelete